Monday 6 February 2012

February 6th: I heart NY


As I drink my tea, my mind drifts back to late November last year. A lifelong ambition fulfilled. One of my greatest wishes and longest wants realised. On Sunday 27th of November we took off from Heathrow terminal 5 bound for New York. It was all I could have hoped for.
New York was so vast, large, buzzing and constant. Within 5 minutes of leaving the confines of the airport grounds, we were bombarded with familiarity, in a place we'd never been.
You can undersell America with overused clichés and stereotypes and New York can be easily lost amongst the tourists. Either way there is no getting over the fact that everywhere you go in New York, someone is taking a picture of something they recognise. Before the illustrious Manhattan skyline was in even in view, we were noticing the unmistakable World State Fair and Flushing Meadows, our driver continually pointed out famous landmarks and identifiable sights. After a little more driving and pointing from our driver and a lot more smiling from me, we were ready. We rounded the bend on the freeway and there it was, for the first time, my New York skyline. I was staring at the most famous city in the world and it was staring straight back. I couldn't take my eyes off of it, I couldn't quite believe it, I didn't want it to ever end and I knew I'd never forget it.
Our mini bus carried about 10 people, who were being dropped at different locations around the city. We were in that vehicle for the best part of three hours, I didn't mind one bit. The time just flew by. Every street bought a new vision. Walk; don't walk signs, famous hotels on famous avenues. Yellow cabs being directed by New York City cops blowing their whistles and directing the traffic in their suburban ballet. Until finally it was our turn to be dropped off.
Over the next 5 days we ticked off all the tourist hang outs, Statue of Liberty, check, Ellis Island, of course, check, Wall Street, done, Empire State, Grand Central and Central park, check check check.
We even saw NYPD officers buying coffee and doughnuts.
After seeing as much as was possible in the little time we had, we got around to buying some memorabilia. I bought a T-shirt and a mug. A mug that I use every day and as much as I can. My daily reminder of my long awaited and satisfying journey. My mug says that I heart NY, which is true, I do, we got on so well. It was pleasant, polite, warming, welcoming, comfortable and unnerving at the same time.
So yes, I heart NY, but I have a feeling that NY secretly hearts GE

No comments:

Post a Comment