Thursday 2 February 2012

February 2nd: Anyone for Hangman?


I try to keep my work life and social life separate. I don’t know how many people at work knew of my writing adventure in 2011. I had mentioned it to some in passing, and they were very friendly and supportive without any real understanding. I’m not sure why I didn't let them in; whenever TYOTG did come up in conversation the feedback was always full of interest and intrigue and nearly always complimentary. I just wanted to keep something separate for me.
I work for a company that treats its team members well, for the most part. They are a small, private, new business with a great appeal and a product to match. They have people from all over the world working for them, whose backgrounds and skills are wide and diverse.
The company like to put on events to make the team feel welcomed.
They have a summer barbeque with food cooked by the management and entertainment laid on. They celebrate everybody’s anniversaries and birthdays. They lay on a great Christmas spread and good team party in January, giving thanks for the previous year’s efforts and successes.
I have been there for 2 Christmas parties.
 Last year, being the first, we were rewarded with a bottle of champagne/sparkling wine and a huge Panettone (a traditional Italian dessert). The champagne was consumed very quickly but the cake is still knocking about repackaged as a Christmas present. The team members presents are handed out with a firm handshake and warm ‘Thank you’ filled with genuine gratitude. This is appreciated by most, ignored by some and frowned upon by the suspicious and cynical.
It’s much like any other company in that way.
With last year’s present in my mind (and still in my mother in laws kitchen) I plodded along, confidently, to the staff Christmas shindig in late December. After the traditional ceremony and socially accepted pomposity, seats were taken and wine was poured.
A glamorous three course meal was then served by all heads of departments to us, the minions. Then the gifts, a neatly wrapped and pleasantly presented gender specific present.
This year’s Christmas present for everyone was a note book bearing the company logo.
This is my reward for writing everyday for a year! Another blank notebook! What am I going to use that for? I have no idea whether they knew about my terrible, yet fantastic, struggle with the written word over the past three hundred odd days; the irony wasn’t lost on me.
Tomorrow I start my new position within the company that I’ve been with for 2 years. I’m open to what may happen and have my own expectations. I will have my new notebook with me.
The blank note book is like my mind, open, willing and waiting to be filled with new information.
I am looking to fill my note book with more knowledge, answers, ideas and theories.
Failing that, I can always play hangman.
I knew that book would come in handy.

No comments:

Post a Comment